SEIPS Case Study: Bedford Solar – 3MW Solar PV With Single-Axis Tracking In Bedford, Virginia
The undulating terrain of this 58-acre parcel with a project area of 16.2 acres made this a challenging site for a single-axis tracker, however our engineering team worked closely with the racking manufacturer and civil engineer to optimize the site for installation and system performance.
- Layout takes advantage of the slight southern facing slope of the parcel, while varied east to west spacing and backtracking reduces inter-row shading on the rolling terrain.
- The site is surrounded on all sides by towering eighty foot pine trees. We used 3D modeling to capture the shadows cast upon the uneven terrain to ideally place the system within the site.
- The 1500V system design enabled longer DC runs and the ability to group inverters for electrical installation efficiency.
- This in the first solar installation in the town of Bedford,VA!
SEI Engineering provided the full electrical design (PV system, auxiliary power, medium voltage design) and the structural design (inverter group structures, equipment pads). SEI Engineering also served as the Design Project Manager tasked with coordinating all contractors involved in the design phase, including civil, surveyor, and equipment manufacturers.
- AC SYSTEM SIZE: 3 MW
- DC SYSTEM SIZE: 3.44 MW
- MODULES: (10,188) REC 340TP72
- NOMINAL DC VOLTAGE: 1,500 V
- INVERTERS: (100) HUAWEI SUN2000-30KTL-US
- RACKING CONFIGURATION: SINGLE-AXIS TRACKER
- RACKING MANUFACTURER: NEXTracker – NX Horizon TM
- INTERCONNECTION VOLTAGE: 12.47 kV
“Bedford Solar was a standout for our team in that the site slopes created various challenges with inter-row shading and the trackers. The entire team, from the racking manufacturer to our designers, and project manager, took this one to the next level for O2. It was truly a masterful example of top management and expertise combining to maximize output on this site.” – Jeff Ruppert PE, Business Manager and Civil Engineer for SEI Engineering
Contact SEI Professional Services (SEIPS) Today!
SEI Professional Services (SEIPS) leverages decades of experience in the solar industry to take your solar project from concept to reality. No matter what stage you are currently at in your solar project planning or construction – we are here to serve you. SEIPS can assist you as an industry leading solar energy consulting company to ensure your project gets completed on time and within budget for years of reliable clean energy production.
SEIPS provides expert services during every stage of the project development cycle from concept to commissioning and beyond through operations and maintenance (O&M) services. Contact us today and one of our technical specialists will work with you to maximize your solar project. Contact Jeff Ruppert PE, Business Manager / Civil Engineer for SEI Professional Services / SEI Engineering @ (970) 948-5744 or firstname.lastname@example.org.