SEI Engineering Case Study: Edenton Solar – 7.5MW Solar PV System Edenton, North Carolina
By Kyra Holt – SEIPS Director of Engineering
The harsh and wet environmental conditions of this coastal site, located near the North Carolina Albermarle Sound, was a challenge. Our engineering team worked closely with the developer, civil engineer, and installation team throughout the entire project to create a solid design able to stand up to the test.
- The layout was split between two arrays to avoid multiple existing drainage ditches needed to help control water on the site.
- Electrical equipment selection and placement was designed to accommodate the future addition of an energy storage system.
- Elevated equipment skids were used to raise equipment above potential flood waters.
- This project was a continuation of a long partnership with O2 emc in which SEI Engineering has been the engineer of record for five other solar projects of similar size.
SEI Engineering provided the full electrical design (PV system, auxiliary power, medium voltage design) and the structural design (inverter group structures, equipment pads). SEI Engineering also served as the Design Project Manager tasked with coordinating all contractors involved in the design phase, including civil, surveyor, and equipment manufacturers.
- AC SYSTEM SIZE: 5 MW
- DC SYSTEM SIZE: 7.552 MW
- MODULES: (23,316) ADANI 320-325
- NOMINAL DC VOLTAGE: 1,000 V
- INVERTERS: (1) POWER ELECTRONICS HEMK-FS2000K, (1) POWER ELECTRONICS HEMK-FS3000K
- RACKING CONFIGURATION: GROUND MOUNT: 20 DEGREE FIX TILT
- RACKING MANUFACTURER: DCE SOLAR
- INTERCONNECTION VOLTAGE: 12.47 kV
“O2 emc is a company that is always looking toward the future. This project was a great example of how we work with clients to meet their specific goals that go beyond a cookie cutter solar farm.” – Kyra Holt, Technical Manager SEI Engineering
Director of Engineering
Kyra is one of the founders of SEIPS and SEIE, and now works as the Technical Manager of engineering services. She specializes in project management, system design, project feasibility, interconnection, and system modeling. She entered the solar industry full-time in 2008, after completing a PV design and installation course at SEI, and has since managed and created full electrical construction documents for PV systems totaling over 200MW.
Contact SEI Professional Services (SEIPS) Today!
SEI Professional Services (SEIPS) leverages decades of experience in the solar industry to take your solar project from concept to reality. No matter what stage you are currently at in your solar project planning or construction – we are here to serve you. SEIPS can assist you as an industry leading solar energy consulting company to ensure your project gets completed on time and within budget for years of reliable clean energy production.
SEIPS provides expert services during every stage of the project development cycle from concept to commissioning and beyond through operations and maintenance (O&M) services. Contact us today and one of our technical specialists will work with you to maximize your solar project. Contact Jeff Ruppert PE, Business Manager / Civil Engineer for SEI Professional Services / SEI Engineering @ (970) 948-5744 or email@example.com.